The Castle of Siklós
Siklós lies at a distance of 5 kms from Harkány. When the visitors arrive to our region, they can see the crown of the area, the Castle of Siklós, from a large distance. The castle can be accessed by bicycle on a cycle track. The castle is looking forward to the visitors by expositions, a wine museum and attractions. This romantic city is worth walking.
A part of the castle was renewed not too long ago, where a castle-history exposition, a wax museum of the Captain of the Tenkes Hill, the wine museum presenting the Villány-Siklós wine-growing region and a fine art exposition present the millennium-culture of our region. The Kanizsai Dorottya garden and the castle chapel were renewed as well. The embellished castle, bearing the marks of renaissance style of the Garay’s, is looking forward to visitors fond of historical monuments and romantics.
The first written records of the castle of Siklós originate from 1294 with so renowned “castle-lords” like the Garay’s, Corvin János, the Perényi’s, the Batthyány’s and the Benyovszky’s. Sigismund von Luxemburg, Hungarian, German and Czech king, German-Roman emperor was staying in the castle of Siklós for several months in 1401.
The very successful film series the Captain of the Tenkes Hill (Tenkes kapitánya) was shot here.
The castle garden lying on several hectares is the spot of a nice, substantial walk and summer festival programmes.
Website of the Castle of Siklós
8. Vajda János square